Plenty of music label and industry representatives will be on hand this weekend as the 2nd annual Power 98's Future Flavas Music Summit offers a backstage peek at the music business.
Here's the schedule:
11 a.m.-12:15 p.m.: The Basics
- Getting the paperwork in order
- What is the lawyer's purpose?
- Do lawyers get you signed?
- What is the normal cost for a lawyer?
- When should you start looking for a lawyer?
- Copywriting laws
Panel: Moderator - Yasmin Young (WPEG Radio Personality), Jeff Dixon (Disturbing Tha Peace Records), Mike (Day 26), Alonzo Alston (Entertainment Lawyer), Bellanora McCallum (Entertainment Lawyer), Charles Whitfield, Sunshine Anderson
12:30-1:45 p.m.: Production
- Mixing & Mastering
- Do you need a top producer?
- Do you need top notch equipment?
- At home studio vs. commercial studio
- Following the trend- do's and don'ts
- How to get into songwriting
- What are the elements of production
- Picking the right song/track
Panel: Moderator - Chris Clay (Nu Soul Productions), Bruce Irvine (GYB Entertainment), The Perfextionist (Producers), Paul Lawrence, Kevin McCall (RCA Recording Artist), Mr. Collipark (Producer)
2-3:15 p.m.: Promotion
- Role/importance of management
- Media Outlets
- A&R: who they are, what they look for, how to contact them
- How long does it take?
- Label shopping
- Internet use/sales
- What do labels look for?
- Does it take a lot of money?
Panel: Moderator - Arnold Taylor (South Coast Marketing), Bill Evans (VP of Promotions, Def Jam Records), Craig Davis (VP of Promotions, EMI/Capitol Records), Juliette Jones (VP of Promotions), Nathan Price (Reverbnation), Latitia Taylor (Crownworld Entertainment), Tony Wallace (Sony/Columbia Records), Kenny Lattimore (R&B Recording Artist)
3:30-4:45 p.m.: Radio
- Mix Jock influence
- What does radio look for?
- Understanding how radio works
- Is radio your first or last step?
- How to promote to radio
- Knowing your audience
Panel: Moderator - Terri Avery (Operations Manager/Program Director), Deon Cole (APD/MD WPEG-FM), Joshua Medlock (Mediabase 24/7), Terry Base (Program Director, WWWZ-FM)