On Thursday after 5 p.m., all hell breaks lose in Uptown Charlotte the two after fives go head to head like the Ultimate Fighting Godz of War coming to the Time Warner Cable Arena.
In this corner .EpiCentre at 5
The Pavilion at the EpiCentre made its debut just three weeks ago with The Pat McGee Band. And last night Joystick played to a literally hot crowd on the rooftop of Charlottes new (so new its still under construction) entertainment complex under the skyline. Youre so high up on the roof that it kind of makes you want to climb up on a crane and bungee jump down.
And in this corner Alive After Five
This is the original After Five that is responsible for making Thursday the new Friday at the Wachovia Atrium. Their band roster includes a Michael Jackson Tribute band, a Journey Tribute band, Almost McGraw, and last night a Led Zepplin tribute band. This may just be me, but I feel that cover bands are better when theyre comprised of Little People. Cason Point: Mini Kiss and Mini Britney.
For the third week in a row the new kid on the block has managed to claim victory over the traditional, judging by attendance and the fun meter, proving Charlotte isnt just fickle about the Panthers. The EpiCentre is able to trump Wachovia because a) its new and b) theres Suite right across the balcony and Whisky River downstairs. Whereas all there is at Wachovia is Mimosa (a restaurant) and an office buildings.
What do you think? Out with the old and in with the new?
Or you know, theyre a few measly blocks from each other . go to both!
Or . we can always assign Bank of America employees to one and Wachovia employees to the other? Speaking of which dont you think the whole Uptown traffic clusterfuck would subdue if BofAs quitting time was 15 minutes earlier than Wachovias? Just throwing that out there .
And for some more of Brittneys Random Revelations .
- Last night at Suite the guys bathroom line was five times longer than that of the girls bathroom ... just an observation.
- Showing up to work with a jumbo box of tampons in a slightly transparent drug store bag is pretty much a get out of trouble free card ... even if youre almost an hour late.
- Last night as I was walking down College Street, I felt really bad for the drones of construction guys working diligently while all the drunks stumble through. So I started a group effort of giving them all high fives and thanking them for making Charlotte bigger.
- Last night in the bathroom at Suite a girl approached me and asked, Do you write a blog? So excited that I actually have a reader I excitedly smile and nod yes, and before I could even tell her my name she goes, Your NASCAR guys a dick and you are so much better off. Wow, thanks for bringing him up. I got into a car accident while in the back of taxi cab last year, wanna talk about that too? But before she could even say it, I knew that she was going through the same thing. Arent we all? So I gave her a hug.
- I also met some guys that came into town from out of state to watch the 9 Ball Pool Tournament at the Convention Center. Next time I go to Angry Ales Im just going to sit there and watch people play pool and see how fun that is. Im predicting not much.