• 3,702 soldiers dead as of Aug. 17; 86 from North Carolina
• About 12 percent to 20 percent of veterans returning from Iraq suffers from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
• The war in Iraq has cost N.C. taxpayers alone $12.3 billion.
• With the $1.3 billion the war has cost U.S. Rep. Sue Myrick's district, it could have built 12,472 units of affordable housing.
• With its $855.65 million share of the cost, U.S. Rep. Mel Watt's district could have covered health insurance for 98,398 children for the length of the war.
• The $917.01 million portion footed by U.S. Rep. Robin Hayes' district is enough to build 101 elementary schools.
Sources: National Priorities Project, National Center for PTSD, iCasualties.org.