Congratulations to Charlottean Peter Reinhart for winning the 2008 James Beard "Baking and Dessert Cookbook" award for his Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor (Ten Speed Press, 2007). This is his second James Beard award. Reinhart is the chef-on-assignment at Johnson & Wales University, Charlotte.
• Mime, the owner of Mai Japanese Restaurant (once on South Boulevard), has re-emerged in the Yotto Japanese Restaurant space on Rea and Colony. The opening date is set for June 15, and at press time he was reconsidering keeping the Yotto name. 7731 Colony Road. 704-542-4222.
• The Milwaukee-based Breadsmith, an artisan bakery with breads and sweets, is now open. 2000 Highway 160 W. Fort Mill, S.C.
• El Cancun, 5234 South Blvd., is now Maria's and is owned by Maria Sorto, who is keeping the same menu.
• Soon to open is the 13th location (third in town) of Firebirds Wood Fired Grill in Morrison in SouthPark; and Villa Francesca Pizza, (321 Caldwell St.) Uptown.
• Chef restaurateur Stratos Lambos broke ground for the 8,500-square foot Big View Diner at The Shoppes at Ardrey Kell, corner of Highway 521 and Ardrey Kell Road.
• Harper's Restaurant and M5 Modern Mediterranean are selling picnic baskets for Symphony in the Park. The $30 Picnic Pak from Harper's takes 15 minutes, 704-366-6612; allow one hour for the $35 M5 picnic: 704-909-5500.