As soon as the first of the 75-degree days tease the city, residents wake up noticeably cheerful, ditching their dull winter garb for sunny day threads. Last April, Charlotte was buzzing with even more than the usual excitement in anticipation of the first ever STYLE Week Charlotte, celebrating the city's burgeoning fashion and style industry with events and other activities.
After a successful inaugural year, STYLE week is returning to Charlotte again April 14-21.
Great things come to those who collaborate. Bridgette West, editor-in-chief of Charlotte Style Magazine can attest to that. She and her team worked with a group of key people, including reps from Neiman Marcus, the Art Institute of Charlotte, local designers, models and photographers to organize the various festivities, where proceeds will benefit the Ronald McDonald House.
"I hope STYLE Week will show that Charlotte is a stylish city and that fashion is very much alive and rich here," West says.
Here is a sampling of the upcoming events:
• STYLE Week will roll out the red carpet during the Charlotte's 25 Most Stylish shindig to honor fashionably conscious local trailblazers in Charlotte's business, fashion, beauty, entertainment and nonprofit industries. Last year, local news anchor Natalie Pasquarella, fashion designer Tara Davis, and Mike Watson, a professor of fashion marketing and design at the Art Institute, were among those crowned. A sneak peek at this year's list includes local celebs like Panthers player Cam Newton and Evolution talent agency's Olivia Pires, who modeled for the 2012 Sephora campaign. April 14; 8 p.m. Butter at N.C. Music Factory.
• Flawless Make Up Art Pamper Parlor will host an exclusive beauty event featuring free manicures, pedicures and other relaxation services while accepting donations to incorporate the organization's idea of giving in style. The event will be open to the public but an RSVP is required. Email FMAPamperParlor@Gmail.com with your name and the number of guests you plan to bring. April 15; 1 p.m.-5 p.m. at The Residences at SouthPark.
• A returning event, proving that mimosas and retail therapy truly are the perfect pair, is A Stylish Breakfast at Tiffany's, held at Tiffany and Co. of SouthPark Mall. The invite-only media event will be a Sunday brunch complete with hors d'oeuvres, cocktails, cupcakes and swanky shopping at the international jeweler that epitomizes refined style and class. April 15; 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
• Charlotte's Day of STYLE is "a citywide shopping soiree" intended to get shoppers out to support local retailers by including incentives like special giveaways, in-store parties and trunk shows. Some of the stores participating include Lotus, Petal, summerbird, Revolve, Cottage Chic and The Benjamin Bear. Proceeds will go to the Ronald McDonald House. April 21.
• The grand finale, returning from last year, is Passport for Fashion, hosted by Charlotte Seen. The recycled fashion-inspired event will be held at ReelWorks at the N.C. Music Factory. A handful of emerging designers will also showcase their personal collections. The evening's featured designer, Luis Machicao, showed his spring/summer 2011 collection at New York Fashion Week. April 21; VIP hour 6 p.m.-7 p.m. Doors open to public at 7 p.m.
For more information, check out www.StyleWeekCharlotte.com, like Style Week Charlotte on Facebook or follow @STYLEWeekCLT on Twitter.