• Reid's Fine Foods will host a book signing April 11 for restaurateur and author Lucy Buffett (yes, she's the younger sister of singer/songwriter Jimmy Buffett). This Buffett owns Lulu's in Gulf Shores, Ala. Her Crazy Sista Cooking: Cuisine and Conversation with Lucy Buffett includes 150 recipes. 4:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. 225 E. 7th St., 704-377-1312.
• Polka Dot Bake Shop has specials for Administrative Professional's Day on April 23, Mother's Day and the Sex and the City movie premiere on May 30. 1730 E. Woodlawn Road, 704-523-5001.
• Congratulations to Grateful Growers Farm in Denver, N.C. They are finalists in the Gallo Family Vineyards Gold Metal Awards for businesses dedicated to high quality while using artisanal methods of food producing and sustainable agriculture.
• Owner Tony Tahiri opened the 54-seat Italia Eatery (3419 Toringdon Way, 704-543-0098). His parents have owned The Italian Restaurant in Pineola, N.C., for the last 13 years; Tahiri's restaurant uses the same family recipes.
• George Poriotis opened Gado Gado (157 N. Trade St., Matthews. 704-844-8686), an American bistro with Mediterranean influences. Dinner entrees range from $12 to $23. Hours are Monday through Saturday 11:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.; dinner Monday through Thursday runs from 5 p.m. until 9 p.m., until 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.
• Press Wine/Food, a wine bar and wine retail shop (333 W. Trade St. in the Trademark building, 704-370-3006) has sandwiches, soups, and salads at lunch and sushi made on site in the evenings. Hours are Monday through Friday 11 a.m. until 4 p.m.; Monday through Sunday 5 p.m. until closing.