Across all party lines
I imagine that exposing the hypocrisy of an elected official (Boomer With Attitude: "The Stud in the Stall" by John Grooms, Sept. 5) and revelling in his subsequent downfall is one of the most satisfying experiences a journalist can have, particularly when, as here, the disgraced figure espouses a political ideology with which the writer disagrees. Before Mr. Grooms gleefully rubs his hands raw, or climbs perilously high upon his moral horse, he might do well to be a little more circumspect about ascribing "sexocrisy" as a phenomenon limited to Republicans, lest he appear biased beyond any credibility or convincing force. Time and space prevent me from a complete listing of sex scandals involving Democratic politicians, but a certain president by the name of Clinton comes immediately to mind. Has it been so long that Mr. Grooms has forgotten our finger-wagging Commander-in-Chief so ridiculously and self-righteously denying that he had been serviced in the Oval Office?
Mr. Grooms is obviously a liberal Democrat and he can, I suppose, be forgiven a little partisan glee at the absurd predicament in which Sen. Craig finds himself. What is truly lamentable, however, and what should distress us all is the pervasiveness of the lying, immorality and hypocrisy in Washington -- across all party lines.
-- Bill Garrity, Matthews
John Grooms responds: Mr. Garrity is correct that Bill Clinton was a lying sleazeball, just as there have been other Dems who fit the bill (as I pointed out in the column Mr. Garrity disparages). However, Democrats can't come close to matching the sheer numbers of GOP sex criminals (see the "GOP Perv List" below). My point in the column was that when the GOP's sexual peccadillos are considered against the party's "traditional values" rhetoric, it points to a level of hypocrisy that has reached unprecedented and mind-boggling proportions, and which would take decades for the Democrats to match.
"GOP Perv List"
• Republican anti-abortion activist Howard Scott Heldreth is a convicted child rapist in Florida.
• Republican County Commissioner David Swartz pleaded guilty to molesting two girls under the age of 11 and was sentenced to eight years in prison.
• Republican Judge Mark Pazuhanich pleaded no contest to fondling a 10-year-old girl and was sentenced to 10 years probation.
• Republican anti-abortion activist Nicholas Morency pleaded guilty to possessing child pornography on his computer and offering a bounty to anybody who murders an abortion doctor.
• Republican legislator Edison Misla Aldarondo was sentenced to 10 years in prison for attempted rape of a juvenile.
• Republican anti-gay activist Earl "Butch" Kimmerling was sentenced to 40 years in prison for molesting an 8-year-old girl after he attempted to stop a gay couple from adopting her.
• Republican Mayor Philip Giordano is serving a 37-year sentence in federal prison for sexually abusing 8- and 10-year-old girls.
• Republican campaign consultant Tom Shortridge was sentenced to three years probation for taking nude photographs of a 15-year-old girl.
• Republican racist pedophile and U.S. Senator Strom Thurmond impregnated a 15-year-old black girl.
• Republican pastor Mike Hintz, whom George W. Bush commended during the 2004 presidential campaign, surrendered to police after admitting to a sexual affair with a juvenile.
• Republican legislator Peter Dibble pleaded no contest to having an inappropriate relationship with a 13-year-old girl.
• Republican activist Lawrence E. King Jr. organized child sex parties at the White House during the 1980s.
• Republican lobbyist Craig J. Spence organized child sex parties at the White House during the 1980s.
• Republican Congressman Donald "Buz"_ Lukens was found guilty of having sex with a minor and sentenced to one month in jail.
• Republican fundraiser Richard A. Delgaudio was found guilty of child porn charges.
• Republican activist Mark A. Grethen convicted on six counts of sex crimes involving children.
• Republican activist Randal David Ankeney pleaded guilty to attempted sexual assault on a child.
• Republican Congressman Dan Crane had sex with a minor working as a congressional page.
• Republican activist and Christian Coalition leader Beverly Russell admitted to an incestuous relationship with his stepdaughter.
• Republican congressman and anti-gay activist Robert Bauman was charged with having sex with a 16-year-old boy he picked up at a gay bar.
• Republican Committee Chairman Jeffrey Patti was arrested for distributing a video clip of a 5-year-old girl being raped.
• Republican activist Marty Glickman (aka "Republican Marty") was taken into custody by Florida police on four counts of unlawful sexual activity with a juvenile and one count of delivering the drug LSD.
• Republican legislative aide Howard L. Brooks was charged with molesting a 12-year-old boy and possession of child pornography.
• Republican Senate candidate John Hathaway was accused of having sex with his 12-year-old baby sitter and withdrew his candidacy after the allegations were reported in the media.
• Republican preacher Stephen White, who demanded a return to traditional values, was arrested after allegedly offering $20 to a 14-year-old boy for permission to perform oral sex on him.
• Republican talk show host Jon Matthews pleaded guilty to exposing his genitals to an 11-year-old girl.
• Republican Party leader Paul Ingram pleaded guilty to six counts of raping his daughters and served 14 years in federal prison.
• Republican election board official Kevin Coan was sentenced to two years probation for soliciting sex over the internet from a 14-year-old girl.
• Republican politician Andrew Buhr was charged with two counts of first degree sodomy with a 13-year-old boy.
• Republican politician Keith Westmoreland was arrested on seven felony counts of lewd and lascivious exhibition to minors under 16 (i.e., exposing himself to children).
• Republican anti-abortion activist John Allen Burt was charged with sexual misconduct involving a 15-year-old girl.
• Republican County Councilman Keola Childs pleaded guilty to molesting a child.
• Republican activist John Butler was charged with criminal sexual assault on a teenage girl.
• Republican candidate Richard Gardner admitted to molesting his two daughters.
• Republican Councilman and former Marine Jack W. Gardner was convicted of molesting a 13-year-old girl.
• Republican County Commissioner Merrill Robert Barter pleaded guilty to unlawful sexual contact and assault on a teenage boy.
• Republican City Councilman Fred C. Smeltzer, Jr. pleaded no contest to raping a 15 year-old girl and served 6-months in prison.
• Republican activist Parker J. Bena pleaded guilty to possession of child pornography on his home computer and was sentenced to 30 months in federal prison and fined $18,000.
• Republican parole board officer and former Colorado state representative, Larry Jack Schwarz, was fired after child pornography was found in his possession.
• Republican strategist and Citadel Military College graduate Robin Vanderwall was convicted in Virginia on five counts of soliciting sex from boys and girls over the internet.
• Republican Rep Allen (FL) arrested for soliciting an undercover male officer to perform oral sex on the officer for $20.
• Republican Michael Flory has pleaded guilty in Cleveland to sexual battery. The case involved forced sex acts on a woman while both were at a Cleveland convention last July.
• Republican city councilman Mark Harris, who is described as a "good military man" and "church goer," was convicted of repeatedly having sex with an 11-year-old girl and sentenced to 12 years in prison.
• Republican businessman Jon Grunseth withdrew his candidacy for Minnesota governor after allegations surfaced that he went swimming in the nude with four underage girls, including his daughter.
• Republican director of the "Young Republican Federation" Nicholas Elizondo molested his 6-year-old daughter and was sentenced to six years in prison.
• Republican benefactor of conservative Christian groups, Richard A. Dasen Sr., was charged with rape for allegedly paying a 15-year-old girl for sex. Dasen, 62, who is married with grown children and several grandchildren, has allegedly told police that over the past decade he paid more than $1 million to have sex with a large number of young women.