Nine Fortune 500 companies make their home within Mecklenburg County limits, which ranks us fifth highest in the United States.
12. Bank of America. BOA reported the third highest year-end profit in the country at over $16 billion.
44. Lowe's. The Mooresville-based company ranks third behind Home Depot and Costco in specialty retailers.
57. Wachovia Corp. Isn't it about time Wachovia named a sporting complex in its hometown like its distinguished competition?
117. Duke Energy. Duke lost 16.8 percent of revenue and dropped from No. 86.
177. Nucor. What the hell is Nucor you ask? Metal. And the Rexford Road manufacturer is the third largest producer in the country.
276. Sonic Automotive. They "put America in motion" by selling 37 brands of cars and trucks at 150 locations.
369. Family Dollar Stores. All those little purchases add up.
402. Goodrich. Where would the racecar drivers be without tires?
446. SPX Corporation. The manufacturer is down more than 100 spots from the last rankings.