Whatever happened to the good ole days?
The days where boy meets girl ... boy asks girl out ... boy calls and confirms date with girl ... boy picks girl up ... they go out ... boy takes girl home ... and the cycle repeats until the next step is taken and, well, we're all grown. Figure it out.
The official art of courtship ... is now "dead and gone" just like T.I. and Justin Timberlake's song.
Recent events over the past few months (hell, make that years) during my stay in the Q.C. has forced my hand to write this blog.
Something clearly is missing in the lives of the men in our generation, and I'm not pointing fingers. But I'm guessing its either how they were raised, their environment or simply put, it's the crew they hang around.
Or if we dig a little deepe,r it's actually part of the fact that this generation has lost the art of the "follow through" aka "do what you say you are going to damn do."
What does that mean Meik?
Lemme break it down a little further for those on the slow bus: These days this is how it goes: Boy meets girl ... boy talks a good game and even makes plans with girl ... boy fails to call to cancel or reschedule and girl is left looking like boo boo the damn fool.
Don't get me wrong, it definitely goes both ways, but this is my blog so we're focusing on the men today.
I don't know if we need to blame the triflin' chicks who ENABLE this behavior and pat these fellows on the back, and then reward them with the peach cobbler. (And I ain't referring to the dessert.) But some of us have standards and this ish just CANNOT fly.
You wouldn't do that ish in a professional setting so why in your personal life?
It's really quite simple how to handle things:
1. If you don't like a person, TELL THEM (well, in a nice way of course). How hard can it be to be up front and honest and tell someone you just aren't feeling them?
2. If you have been asked to go on a date and you don't wanna go, don't agree to the ish; that eliminates the lies that I oh so despise.
3. If you just aren't interested in anything but a booty call SAY IT. You can fix your mouth to say other ish. Don't be scared now. Man-up and be up front.
4. All that rescheduling ish and you know damn well you had no plans to go to begin with why? Why waste folks time? Again, just tell the person that you just really aren't feeling them.
5. If you're sitting back waiting on a better offer, hell, do that then. But just have the common courtesy to let the other person know you dont want to be bothered because you waiting on your dream jumpoff to call.
Lesson Learned: Communication is key and without it, all you have is a bunch of misunderstandings, hurt feelings and if you're lucky enough to pick the right crazy fool, you may end up with a few flat tires. My advice: Stop stringing folks along if you aren't interested and put forth an effort in the ones you are interested in.